Wednesday 14 November 2012

So, you think you can't dance?

When I talk to people about dancing, a lot of them say 'oh, I can't dance'. Well, you know what? I don't believe them. I couldn't drive a car until I had some lessons, but I can now. You wouldn't be reading this unless someone had taught you how to read. Jess Ennis wouldn't have won an Olympic gold without practice. Why would dancing be any different?

If you can tap your foot in time to the music, or find yourself walking down the street to the beat of the song on your MP3 Player, I'm going to hazard a guess and say that if you wanted to, you could dance. I'm not for one second suggesting that everyone in the world can hear the beat in a song, but for everyone who can, dancing is little more than putting a bit more weight on your foot than a tap and moving in time.

As mine and Mr Riley's first Lindy Hop* anniversary approaches on the 22nd of November, I thought it would be a good time to put down some of my thoughts about why everyone should at least try some form of dance, and why partner dancing is so much easier than getting up on a dancefloor in a club and strutting your stuff without feeling like a tit.

Mr. Riley and me and our first dance at the
wedding busting some Tandem Charleston moves!
A good friend of mine told me recently that Lindy Hop isn't a hobby, it's a way of life. Once you start, it grabs you and it's not long before you're practicing your steps to any swingable music you hear, or whilst out walking the dog, or when you're waiting for the bus. In fact, the music is one of the great things about swing dancing. I mean, who doesn't love Frank Sinatra? If the girls on X Factor could sing like Ella Fitzgerald, then maybe it would be worth watching. But don't for one second think that you have to go back to decades gone by to find Lindyable music. In Sheffield we have had a dedicated Lindy night for 'alternative' tunes… think ska, hip hop, punk, rock, pop. Be warned, there are two schools of thought on this one. Some folks think that swing dancing should be done purely to swing music. However, what I think Sheffield tried to do was get across that music can cross genres. Who's to say that a punk song can't swing, or that you can't demonstrate an excellent Charleston to Goldie Lookin' Chain. All these dances have developed by people trying out different things to different music, so maybe this is one way to keep it current. One of the first Lindy socials that I went to, King's of Leon's Sex on Fire was played and I looked up, not expecting many people to be on the dance floor, only to see almost everyone up, with massive smiles on their faces. And this was on a Sunday afternoon at a TEA DANCE! Needless to say, there is some versatility to Lindy Hop. You can pull the moves out of the bag at almost any night out.

Possibly the cutest dance EVER to Jason Mraz's 
'I'm Yours'

The people. That's another great thing about dancing. You meet new people. A couple of years ago I remember thinking how hard it was to make new friends once you hit adulthood and leave full time education. But it's not true. All you have to do is get out there and join something sociable. SHWI has been brilliant for that for me, but what about something for the boys? DANCING! That's how you meet new people. It doesn't matter if it's lindy, salsa, tango or jive you will meet new people. I may be a little biased, but the Lindy crowd are really, really lovely. A real mix of ages, backgrounds, humour, style, there really is someone for everyone. I don't want to make it sound like a dating agency, because I am talking about friendship here. Then, once you get hooked (which you will), there are dances and exchanges in cities all round the country, where you can meet even more people. It is a real community that stretches not just city-wide, but nationally, and now that Mr. Riley and I have the wedding out of the way I will be able to participate in more and more of these. I can't wait!

Vikki & Craig at Edinburgh Lindy Exchange.
Photo courtesy of  Roseweir Photography
That brings me nicely on to travel. Lindy doesn't just happen in the UK. There are international events as well, where you can do workshops and learn from some of the best dancers in the world. Loads of European countries have Lindy communities, and then you can go further afield as well, to America, Canada and/or Australia. (I keep forgetting about salsa... the same applies, but you get Latin America, you lucky things!)

I now dance several times a week, and it really is great exercise. When you break it down, it's basically interval training, the gold standard of cardiovascular exercise. You see, what happens is this: You dance for a song or two and your heart rate goes up, then you sit down for a song and let your heart rate drop a little, and then you get up again, and dance a fast track, followed by a slow track, followed by a fast track and then another sit down. And this you do for 1, 3, maybe even 5 hours at a social. I bet you don't stay in the gym that long. And talking of the gym, have you ever been halfway through a workout and thought, 'wow, I could really do with a beer right now'. Guess what, with dancing you can drink while exercising. Although you tend not to drink as much, and there's quite often cake.

The final thing that I really want to mention is how happy I am when I dance, and how much this has rubbed off on my every day life. You see, it's not just your physical health that dancing is good for, but your mental health as well. I can't begin to explain the joy I feel when I follow a good lead, or nail a Texas Tommy, or get into tandem Charleston without standing on my partner's feet. Importantly, however, it is also fun when a move doesn't go quite right. In fact, in Lindy, there is no such thing as a mistake, there are only variations, and that is an excellent motto to apply to life. It's funny when you get things wrong. I've heard tales of girls accidentally putting their fingers up boys noses coming out of a turn, and I myself have been subject to a full on boob grab when I finished a spin slightly further to the left than anticipated. The dance floor is full of smiles and laughter. It's ace. 

The lovely Matt from Manchester and me at Sheffield's Speakeasy.
Photo courtesy of  Music Gone Ape Photography
Now that I've perhaps raised your interest, even just a little, you'll be wanting to know what you need to get started. Well, you don't need much. You don't even need a partner. A lesson is a good start. Try searching 'Lindy Hop + your city' on Google to find details of local classes. For Sheffield people, you can go to classes on Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays and/or Thursdays if you want (details below). On top of that, there is social dancing most weekends in Sheffield, and you don't have to go too far to find some in another city if you need more. In terms of clothing, something loose and comfortable is a good start. You can get quite warm when dancing, so you don't want to be wearing woolly jumpers. In terms of footwear, again you want something comfortable and that doesn't have too much grip. I prefer to dance in flat shoes rather than heels, especially at lessons. 

Please don't be put off if you find dancing on your own in clubs uncomfortable. I still do. In fact, I think at the moment I'm worse than I was before, because I'm so used to dancing with someone that I've forgotten what to do when I'm on my own. But that's what solo charleston workshops are for, right?

Try a lesson. In fact, go to more than one so that you start getting the hang of it. Chat to the other dancers. Go to the socials. If you feel nervous, bring a friend along. You'd be surprised at just how quickly you learn enough moves to look like the best dancer in the world to people who don't dance. 
Charleston Taster Session for my hen do


DETAILS OF SHEFFIELD LESSONS:
Look for Lindy Hop Sheffield on Facebook for loads of information about classes, socials and related dance events. If you have any questions feel free to get in touch by leaving a comment on here or on Twitter (@MrsWickie) and I'll do my best to answer or at least put you in touch with someone who can.

Mondays:
Steel City Swing
Fundamentals: 20:30 - 21:15
The Everyone Centre (next to Heeley Bath)
Broadfield Road
S8 0XQ
£4 (£3 conc) per class
You can find Steel City Swing on Facebook

Tuesday:
University of Sheffield Swing Dance Society
Beginners: 20:00 - 21:00
Arts Tower Lecture Theatre 1
£4 for non-members, £2 for members, membership costs just £6 and lasts the academic year
You can find the SU Swing Dance Society on Facebook
-
Wednesdays:
The Dance Co
Beginners: 19.30 - 20.15
St. Vincent's Social Club
Solly Street
S1 4BA
£5(£4 conc) for 1 class/ £6(£5 conc) for 2 or more classes

Thursdays:
SHU Swing!
Beginners: 19.00/19.30
The Hubs/ St. Vincent's Social Club (check details before you go as the venue/ start times currently vary)
£3 per class
You can find SHU Swing! on Facebook


*Other dance styles do exist.

2 comments:

  1. This looks amazing! Where do I sign up? You forgot that Swing dancing allows you to bring something to other people's lives. You, Mrs Riley, bring joy and smiles to everyone you dance with, not to mention some amazing cake!.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is LOADS of stuff that I haven't mentioned, maybe I'll do a Part 2 next year! I expect lots of Declan dances this weekend, by the way...

      Delete